Thursday 29 October 2020

Twilight Follow the Dog

While happier clocking up miles on the road, I do enjoy a ride on my MTB, helped by the fact it is a Mercian! So, as Autumn is in full swing and the evenings are getting a little darker, I decided to take a twilight ride around Follow the Dog on Cannock Chase, easy for me as just a 10 minute drive away!

My closest parking spot means I join the route just after the first section, as dusk was approaching, I was surprised to see so many others seemingly just setting off, finishing the first section at least, even more surprised that I was catching and leaving most behind, I gave them the benefit of deciding they had done "other" routes or 1 lap or already!

Good lights are needed and I must get some! I use two "Cree" ones off Ebay, cheap and cheerful and on the road commute are great, on the lumpy Cannock Chase routes, well they move about a little, meaning that constant adjustment is required! 

Now, I am not the most skillful mountain biker and even a small descent down rocks can cause me to  un-clip, but in the fading light, you don notice some of the obstacles and so riding them without "fear" is easier, or fool hardy?, any way I do think that it also helps with confidence and improving skill.   

On my own and in the growing darkness, owls hooting, occasional red eyes picked out by my lights, it does bring out a certain primeval feeling and the heart beat does rise... but its great fun - and I must do more of the same..... see you on the Trails!




 


   


No comments:

Post a Comment